    SubjectRe: [rfc][patch] remove racy sync_page?

    On Tue, 30 May 2006, Nick Piggin wrote:

    > I guess so. Is plugging still needed now that the IO layer should
    > get larger requests?

    Why do you think the IO layer should get larger requests?

    I really don't understand why people dislike plugging. It's obviously
    superior to non-plugged variants, exactly because it starts the IO only
    when _needed_, not at some random "IO request feeding point" boundary.

    In other words, plugging works _correctly_ regardless of any random
    up-stream patterns. That's the kind of algorithms we want, we do NOT want
    to have the IO layer depend on upstream always doing the "Right
    Thing(tm)".

    So exactly why would you want to remove it?

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.019 / U:147.588 seconds]