    SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

    > > > But the things is today for many users suspend/resume to RAM works for
    > > > people running X drivers, I know on my laptop that my radeon
    > > > suspends/resumes fine when running vgacon/DRM/accelerated X, it
    > > > doesn't suspend/resume at all well when running vgacon on its own of
    > > > course. or with radeonfb for that matter. so I still believe the
    > > > suspend/resume code for a card can live in userspace if necessary but
    > > > it just shouldn't be part of X... it needs to be part of another
    > > > graphics controller process.
    > >
    > > So we are mostly in agreement. I'd prefer to have suspend/resume code
    > > in kernel in cases it is simple... but separate userspace process is
    > > better than having it in X.
    > Don't draw any conclusions from saying that suspend/resume works in X
    > and doesn't work on xx_fb. What matters is that a set of code that can
    > perform suspend/resumes exists at all. Once a coherent driver model is
    > designed the relevant code can be moved to the correct place.

    Actually the suspend/resume has to be in userspace, X just re-posts
    the video ROM and reloads the registers... so the repost on resume has
    to happen... so some component needs to be in userspace..

      Last update: 2006-05-31 01:03    [W:0.028 / U:9.544 seconds]