SubjectRe: /sys/class/net/eth?/carrier and uevents
On 29/05/06, João Luis Meloni Assirati <assirati@nonada.if.usp.br> wrote:

> Hello,

Hi,

> I would like to have my network interfaces configured when plugged on the
> network cable. I know there are some daemons that do this for me (laptop-net,
> ifplugd, whereami), but it would be nice if a simple udev rule take care of
> this to me. However, as I can see with kernel 2.6.16 and udevmonitor (udev
> version 0.091), nonetheless /sys/class/net/eth?/carrier changes when I plug
> the network cable, no uevent is generated. Could this be changed so udev get
> triggered when network cables get plugged? As I am no kernel developper, this
> is only a suggestion, hoping that it would be a simple and pertinent job for
> those ho know the subject.

I added the 'carrier' attribute initially but never considered udev at
the time. But I can certainly see how it could be useful.
I'll take a look at adding a hotplug event when I get some spare time
(probably some time next week) - or perhaps someone else will beat me
to it :)

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>