    SubjectRe: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts
    Date
    On Wednesday 24 May 2006 22:08, Matthew Garrett wrote:
    > On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 07:38:40PM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
    > > 2) The ROM support in the kernel knows about the shadow RAM copy at
    > > C000::0. When you request the ROM from a laptop video system it
    > > returns a map to the shadow RAM copy, not to a physical ROM. You need
    > > access to the shadow RAM copy to get to things the BIOS left there
    > > when it ran.
    >
    > My experience is that, on some laptops, the code at c000:0003 may jump
    > into some other address block that isn't necessarily shadowed. There's
    > no reason to assume that POSTing an ancilliary ROM will work after the
    > system has left the BIOS. Further, my laptop doesn't appear to have a
    > rom entry in sysfs, which makes getting at stuff that way rather more
    > awkward...

    As has been previously stated, the kernel should have already setup the
    primary video card by that point. EDID information can be used to get
    information about valid modes. I don't know of a single laptop that has
    multiple video cards in it. If you do, please enlighten me.

    DRH

      Last update: 2006-05-25 04:12    [W:0.023 / U:31.128 seconds]