    SubjectRe: Linux Kernel Source Compression
    > just wanted to remark that I never liked that bzip was replaced by bzip2
    > (were there license issues?) since bzip's compression was/is often
    > stronger:

    bzip1 uses arithmetic encoding which is heavily patented. bzip2 uses
    huffman instead, which isn't, but is slightly (10% is often quoted)
    less efficient. I guess bzip3 could use range coding which is
    supposedly patent-free[1] and has similar compression ratio than
    arithmetic coding.

    [1] I guess everything is in the way it is written, since I have a
    very hard time understand where the difference is between range coding
    and arithmetic coding.

      Last update: 2006-05-23 16:25    [W:0.018 / U:4.260 seconds]