SubjectRe: APIC error on CPUx
Brown, Len wrote:

>>The problem goes away with noapic or acpi=off, but of course that also
>>means you don't have IRQs > 15.
>>

>"acpi=off" is a superset of "noapic" here, presumably because the
>board doesn't have MPS tables that describe the IOAPIC when ACPI is
>off.
>
>"noapic" is a perfectly reasonable thing to use if you don't
>have a lot of interrupt sources and there is no more sharing
>in PIC mode than IOAPIC mode.
>
>The advantage of using IOAPIC mode is that the system has more interrupt
>pins
>availalble and this allows sharing to be avoided. It also allows
>the system to target the interrupts to any processor when you
>have more than one.
>
>cheers,
>-Len

My experience yesterday:

Server with 'noapic' cannot boot, kernel reports something like "Lost
interrupt: hde" ( it was said by my college, server is not in my
physical control ) . With 'acpi=off' it boots, but errors appear again.

Brief datasheet about the board is here:
http://www.abclinuxu.cz/images/hosting/sr1200.pdf

Vladimir

  Last update: 2006-05-23 08:47    [W:0.044 / U:2.420 seconds]