SubjectRe: [RFC] kernel facilities for cache prefetching
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:55:29AM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Yes, I find it hard to improve the boot time of the init.d stage.
> > However, it is perfectly ok to preload all GUI staffs during that
> > timespan, by overlapping CPU/IO activities.
> fwiw fedora even loads a bunch of GUI apps into memory already

Hopefully the warm cache time has been improving.
I have very good performance with fluxbox. Lubos Lunak said
that "KDE startup with cold caches is several times slower than with
warm caches." The latest GNOME release also saw good speedup.

> > > Another interesting approach would be to actually put all the data you
> > > want to use in a non-fragmented, sequential area on disk somehow (there
> > > is an OLS paper submitted about that by Ben) so that at least the disk
> > > side is seekless...
> >
> > You are right, reducing seeking distances helps not much. My fluxbox
> > desktop requires near 3k seeks, which can be loaded in the 20s init.d
> > booting time. But for KDE/GNOME desktops, some defragging would be
> > necessary to fit them into the 20s time span.
> or just move the blocks (or copy them) to a reserved area...

Ah, we can save discontinuous pages into the journal file on umounting
and restore them on mounting. But let's do the simple way first :)