    SubjectRe: replacing X Window System !
    Panagiotis Issaris wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Helge Hafting wrote:
    >
    >> [...]
    >> The problem with writing those 3D drivers is not complexity
    >> or "historic baggage" in the X codebase. It is the fact that
    >> only the vendors know how the cards work, and most of them
    >> won't tell us.
    >>
    >> To which the solution is: buy the cards that work, and screw the rest.
    >

    > Just out of curiosity: Do you know any currently sold cards that support
    > XVideo, OpenGL and for which open source drivers are available?

    I don't know much about XVideo.
    For DRI support, look at:
    http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/Status?action=highlight&value=CategoryHardware

    Many of the cards listed there are a few years old, but several of them
    are still available as cheap alternatives in shops. I had no problem buying
    a radeon 9200 and a matrox G550 for example.

    Also, the VIA graphichs chips found on current mini-itx motherboards
    have both opengl and mpeg2-acceleration. A mini-itx thing is hardly what
    you use as a power desktop machine, but the small size and fanless operation
    means they're popular for homemade media player/entertainment boxes.

    I got one in my car; mostly for playing CDs and gps navigation. But
    it will also play DVDs, play tuxracer using opengl, as well as
    the usual web surfing and word processing.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2006-05-19 15:13    [W:0.020 / U:90.952 seconds]