SubjectRE: replacing X Window System !
> > Although one has to admit that working with remote X
> terminals over a
> > SSH/WAN/VPN-connection is far from usefull, [...]
> You can tunnel just about anything X11 over SSH/VPN/etc.; even things
> like a whole desktop GUI; not just plain X terminals.

Did you actually do that? Starting Firefox over a 6 Mbit VPN takes about 3
minutes on a FAST machine. That´s not acceptable - our users want (almost)
immediate response to an application, to clicking and waiting 10 seconds
until the app is doing something.

> > However, there´s NX ( and
> > other products but out of the box X11 it´s quite slow over
> higher latency
> > connections.
> One good way to reduce latency (at least when using X11 over SSH) is
> to tell SSH to compress its connection tunnel ("ssh -C ...").

Yes, this will start Firefox (as an example) down to 2 minutes 15 seconds
and put additional compression/decompression load on the system. We go for
AIP right now (Sun Secure Global Desktop), there you have the feeling as if
you were sitting in front of the box.

  Last update: 2006-05-20 03:01    [W:0.045 / U:1.032 seconds]