    SubjectRE: replacing X Window System !
    > > Although one has to admit that working with remote X
    > terminals over a
    > > SSH/WAN/VPN-connection is far from usefull, [...]
    > You can tunnel just about anything X11 over SSH/VPN/etc.; even things
    > like a whole desktop GUI; not just plain X terminals.

    Did you actually do that? Starting Firefox over a 6 Mbit VPN takes about 3
    minutes on a FAST machine. That´s not acceptable - our users want (almost)
    immediate response to an application, to clicking and waiting 10 seconds
    until the app is doing something.

    > > However, there´s NX ( and
    > > other products but out of the box X11 it´s quite slow over
    > higher latency
    > > connections.
    > One good way to reduce latency (at least when using X11 over SSH) is
    > to tell SSH to compress its connection tunnel ("ssh -C ...").

    Yes, this will start Firefox (as an example) down to 2 minutes 15 seconds
    and put additional compression/decompression load on the system. We go for
    AIP right now (Sun Secure Global Desktop), there you have the feeling as if
    you were sitting in front of the box.