    SubjectRe: replacing X Window System !
     --- Thierry Vignaud <tvignaud@mandriva.com> a écrit :

    > linux cbon <linuxcbon@yahoo.fr> writes:
    >
    > > Why dont we have "good" 3D support in X ?
    >
    > no documentation how to program nvidia 3d chips?
    > or for the very latest ati chips?
    > or from the XYZ vendor?

    What do you think about this :

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=114738577123893&w=2

    But let me be clear -- the X developers are a bunch of
    shameless vendor-loving lapdogs who sure are taking
    their time at solving this > 10 year old problem!
    They spend way more time chasing the latest vendor
    binary loaded device driver, than they do solving this
    obvious
    problem. (Translation: They don't want to change how
    X works, because it would break the vendor binary
    drivers from ATI and NVIDIA. That is part of what
    happens when X developers get jobs at vendors).

    They've had 10 years, and yet every year they get more
    entrenched in the entirely insecure model of "gigantic
    process running as root, which accesses registers like
    mad".

    This problem is ENTIRELY the X group's fault! They
    have failed us. Ten years ago they were laughing at
    Microsoft for moving their video subsystem into their
    kernel, but now the joke is on the X developers,
    because what Microsoft did solved all these driver
    security problems!

    This is 100% an X server bug. It is not a hardware
    bug, and it is not an operating system bug.

    and this

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=114233317926101&w=2

    Some of our architectures use a tricky and horrid
    thing to allow X to run. This is due to modern PC
    video card architecture containing a large quantity of
    PURE EVIL. To get around this evil the X developers
    have done some rather expedient things, such as
    directly accessing the cards via IO registers,
    directly from userland. It is hard to see how they
    could have done other -- that is how much evil the
    cards contain.

    > "belong to the OS" != "belong in the kernel"
    > and where do you put the boundary of the OS? most
    > people don't say
    > that the OS is only the kernel...

    Dont play with words. You know I meant graphics do
    belong to the kernel. I didnt mean graphics belong to
    gnu tools.

    > like if xorg wasn't trying to improve x11 status
    > (slowly trying to
    > isolate priviliged stuff, introducing xcb, ...)

    See above.

    > > What is your opinion ?
    >
    > stop troll^h^h^h^h^h thread?

    If I am a troll, then who are Theo or Linus ?

    Thanks