    SubjectRe: replacing X Window System !
    linux cbon <linuxcbon@yahoo.fr> writes:

    > Why dont we have "good" 3D support in X ?

    no documentation how to program nvidia 3d chips?
    or for the very latest ati chips?
    or from the XYZ vendor?

    > > Also, please tell why this would be faster, simpler, or easier to
    > > manage. Stuff in the kernel is generally harder to manage than
    > > userspace stuff, and definitely not simpler. Kernel code lives
    > > with all sorts of requirements and limitations that an application
    > > programmer would hate to have to worry about.
    >
    > Put X in the kernel, so we dont have 7924 bad written
    > incompatible implementations of it.

    no, we now have 7924 kernels that have to implement each of these
    drivers (linux, *bsd, other unices, macos x, ...)
    ow! how do we do with macos x? or on windows?
    no more X? (though i don't really care but...)

    > In my opinion, graphics do belong to the OS, like
    > sound, network and file system.

    "belong to the OS" != "belong in the kernel"
    and where do you put the boundary of the OS? most people don't say
    that the OS is only the kernel...

    > How to improve/replace X :
    > http://keithp.com/~keithp/talks/xarch_ols2004/xarch-ols2004-html/
    > http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/teaching/projects/Distinguished03/MarkThomas.pdf

    like if xorg wasn't trying to improve x11 status (slowly trying to
    isolate priviliged stuff, introducing xcb, ...)

    > What is your opinion ?

    stop troll^h^h^h^h^h thread?

      Last update: 2006-05-18 20:54    [W:4.401 / U:0.360 seconds]