    SubjectRe: replacing X Window System !
    On Wed, 17 May 2006 13:47:22 +0200, linux cbon said:

    > - should the next generation window versions Y,Z etc.
    > remain backward compatible with X ?

    If it isn't backward compatible, people won't use it. X may suck,
    but it doesn't suck hard enough that people will abandon all their
    currently mostly-working software.

    > I think they should start something better and simpler
    > from scratch and not backward compatible.

    Feel free to write it. Keep in mind that X doesn't even try to do
    widgets - those are done in userspace libraries. Let us know when you
    have enough functionality to make converting worth thinking about.

    > - should the kernel remain pure "shell" or include
    > some basic universal graphical universal window system

    > I think second answer.

    Actually, you've proved the opposite. Consider if the kernel had *already*
    included some universal window system (we'll call it W). At that point, you
    can't easily write an X, Y, or Z if you don't like W. If anything, the
    *current* W (which happens to be called X11) is *too* friendly with the kernel
    already - witness all the headaches dealing with DRM and 'enable' attributes
    and other hoops things have to jump through.

    If anything, there should be even *less* kernel support for graphics.
    That way, writing a Y or Z (or improving X) is easier to do without
    destabilizing the kernel.

      Last update: 2006-05-17 14:21    [W:4.127 / U:0.256 seconds]