    SubjectRe: replacing X Window System !
    El Wed, 17 May 2006 19:17:12 +0200,
    "Felipe Alfaro Solana" <felipe.alfaro@gmail.com> escribió:

    > > And when the windowing system crashes it'll take the kernel down with it - ouch.
    > >
    > > And if I want to run a headless server without a graphical display I
    > > can't simply stop the windowing system I'd have to rebuild a kernel
    > > without the windowing system in it - yuck.
    >
    > Ey! That's very familiar to me and it's called Windows.

    Windows XP and 2003 support headless mode. I don't think it's particulary
    difficult to do it, just implement a /dev/null graphics driver.

    Oh BTW, Windows is getting their graphics subsystem out of the kernel
    (except the drivers of course) in Vista. The perfect time for people
    to start useless rants on whether Linux should include a graphic subsystem
    in the kernel.

      Last update: 2006-05-18 01:47    [W:4.117 / U:0.476 seconds]