    SubjectRe: [RFC] [Patch 7/8] statistics infrastructure - exploitation prerequisite

    Martin> I would be happy to exploit an API that may result from that
    Martin> discussion. I would plead for exporting such an API to
    Martin> modules. I don't see how to implement statistics for
    Martin> latencies, otherwise.

    Martin> Any other hints on how to replace my sched_clock() calls are
    Martin> welcome. (I want to measure elapsed times in units that are
    Martin> understandable to users without hardware manuals and
    Martin> calculator, such as milliseconds.)

    You may wish to look at the microstate accounting patches at
    http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/cvs/kernel/microstate/
    I made the clock source configurable.

    It's acually rather difficult to find a reliable cross-platform
    monotonic clock with good resolution. And different statistics may
    want different clocks; for my purposes a cycle counter is best
    (because I'm running on a machine that varies the clock speed for
    power management reasons), other people may want nanoseconds.

    --
    Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
    http://www.ertos.nicta.com.au ERTOS within National ICT Australia