    SubjectRe: replacing X Window System !
    On Tue, 16 May 2006, wrote:

    > On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:19:16 PDT, alan said:
    >> First of all, your assumptions are incorrect. Modern versions of X are
    >> not old, unoptimised, will do remote sessions, etc.
    > Remote sessions have been there as long as the DISPLAY environment variable - I
    > think even X10.4, 2 decades and more ago, could do that. I know that it worked
    > just fine 18 years ago with X11R1 (aah... building that from source on a 25mz
    > Sun3 took a little while). (Anybody know when the first instance of
    > pointing 'xmelt' at another user's machine for amusement was? :)

    Yep. I know. Most people don't seem to know that X was designed to do
    remote connections very early on.

    > It's interesting that almost every attempt to devise something "better than X"
    > always seems to get as far as an Xterm-alike, an XClock-alike, a primitive
    > window manager, and 2 or 3 toy demo programs. Then, unless you're Microsoft
    > or Apple, you discover that doing a complete window system is *hard*.....

    "Those who do not learn the lessons of X are doomed to reimpliment them

    "Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis

      Last update: 2006-05-17 01:07    [W:0.031 / U:40.384 seconds]