SubjectRe: [RFC] [Patch 7/8] statistics infrastructure - exploitation prerequisite
Andrew Morton wrote:
> Martin Peschke <mp3@de.ibm.com> wrote:
>> need sched_clock for latency statistics
>
> sched_clock() probably isn't suitable for this application. It's a
> scheduler thing and has a number of accuracy problems.
>
> But I thought we discussed this last time around? Maybe not.

I have been too obsessed with the other issues to remember.

> Maybe you've considered sched_clock()'s drawbacks and you've decided
> they're all acceptable.

Admittedly, I didn't, but merely believed the comment above the function.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=114657675408686&w=2
sheds some light.

I would be happy to exploit an API that may result from that discussion.
I would plead for exporting such an API to modules. I don't see how
to implement statistics for latencies, otherwise.

Any other hints on how to replace my sched_clock() calls are welcome.
(I want to measure elapsed times in units that are understandable to
users without hardware manuals and calculator, such as milliseconds.)

Martin

  Last update: 2006-05-17 00:38    [W:0.047 / U:0.156 seconds]