    SubjectRe: replacing X Window System !
    On Tue, 16 May 2006, linux cbon wrote:

    > hi,
    > I know it may not be the best place, sorry for that.
    > X Window System is old, not optimized, slow, not
    > secure (uses root much), accesses the video hardware
    > directly (thats the kernel's job !), it cannot do VNC,
    > etc.
    > The question is : what are your ideas to make a system
    > remplacing X Window System ?
    > I think that linux kernel should contain a very basic
    > and universal Window System module (which could also
    > work on Unixes and BSDs) to replace X, etc.
    > What do you think about this ?

    This is a topic that comes up every year or so. Every year the result is
    the same. It is not going to happen.

    First of all, your assumptions are incorrect. Modern versions of X are
    not old, unoptimised, will do remote sessions, etc.

    There are a couple of very hard problems here.

    First you have to come up with a design that is better than X. That is
    pretty hard. Next you have to convince all the programmers to port their
    code over to use your new spiffy API. That is even harder.

    Until you have a working model, or at least a design, you can blue-sky all
    you want. It won't get anywhere and just waste other people's electrons.

    "Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis

      Last update: 2006-05-17 00:21    [W:0.036 / U:2.416 seconds]