SubjectRe: http://advogato.org/article/888.html
(sorry; reply-all)
Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> "Recently there has been a fuss over monolithic and micro kernels -
> specifically the direction of the Linux Kernel development. Free
> Software is about "freedom of choice", and we should be able to choose
> to compile the Linux Kernel as either a monolith or a microkernel. "

I love your tasteful choice of writing your diatribe on your site and
sending us a URL we can ignore. Didn't you cause this fuss last time?
Does that actually qualify as recently?

http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/10/2/89

You want another flame war?

This sounds suspiciously like the kind of 'freedom' where you say you
want something, and expect someone else to do the heavy lifting for you
to get it.

Read up on the actual freedoms involved in Free Software. They do not
cover "Freedom to Be Provided With The Kernel Binary Design of Your Choice".

You have the freedom to do with the kernel source what you wish, as long
as everyone after you keeps like freedom. You want a linux-like
microkernel, go for it. You have sufficient freedom, and sufficient
coding ability if we believe your CV, to make it happen. Scratch your
own itch.

You don't have the freedom to dictate development practice to an
existing development community with a longstanding project. This is not
an itch Linus wishes to scratch, and, as you acknowledge, it is not the
kind of change which will merge into mainline nicely.

Quit complaining and do the work, or help other people do the work,
since you know l4linux exists. No more diatribes.

  Last update: 2006-05-14 02:29    [W:0.069 / U:0.412 seconds]