SubjectRe: [RFC: 2.6 patch] the overdue removal of RAW1394_REQ_ISO_{LISTEN,SEND}
Adrian Bunk wrote:
> This patch contains the overdue removal of the RAW1394_REQ_ISO_SEND and
> RAW1394_REQ_ISO_LISTEN request types plus all support code for them.
[...]

I am not familiar with the isochronous part of Linux' 1394 software
stack, so I can't comment whether there are high-profile applications
which still did not migrate away from this interface, or did so only
recently.

However I have a few remarks about this patch:

1. You are not only removing the two ioctls but also two EXPORTs and
their implementations, i.e. hpsb_listen_channel() and
hpsb_make_isopacket().
1.a Nobody scheduled to remove these EXPORTs.
1.b So far we moved unused ieee1394 EXPORTs into #if/#endif blocks
and let people reactivate them via kernel config.

2. If it will be decided to remove or hide the EXPORTs and
implementations, then the following should go as well:
2.a EXPORT and implementation of hpsb_unlisten_channel()
2.b struct member hpsb_host.iso_listen_count[]

3. These should go regardless of the EXPORTs matter:
struct members file_info.listen_channels, file_info.iso_buffer,
file_info.iso_buffer_length.

Perhaps there is even *much* more code which becomes superfluous which I
am unable to identify now.
--
Stefan Richter