SubjectRe: Fw: 2.6.16 crashes when running numastat on p575

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Nathan Lynch wrote:

> In this case, disabling preempt around the for_each_online_cpu loop
> would prevent any cpu from going down in the meantime. But since this
> function doesn't look like it's a hot path, and we're potentially
> traversing lots of zones and cpus, lock_cpu_hotplug might be preferable.
> As Paul noted, the fix as it stands isn't adequate.

There are many other for_each_*_cpu loops in the kernel that do not have
any of the instrumentation you suggest. I suggest you come up with a
general solution and then go through all of them and fix this. Please be
aware that many of these loops are performance critical.