    SubjectPCI init vs. memory init
    From

    Paul,

    I'd previously reported a problem where the PCI subsystem
    was getting inited before the memory subsystem. In the unusual
    case of an EEH failure, this resulted in a crash in kmalloc,
    which I hacked around with a if(!mem_init_done).

    You mentioned that the sequence of inits seemed wrong, that the
    PCI init should be done later, after the memory init. I think
    I agree; but when I took a very very quick look at the code, there
    was no obvious hook in later init to move the PCI init over to.

    Are you pursuing this further? Should I dig into it? Any bright
    ideas? Am I missing something obvious?

    There are several spots in in the powerpc PCI init code where
    a boot_mem alloc is used instead of kmalloc, and this boot_mem is
    then hacked around in the case of a PCI hotplug remove. It would
    be nice to fix this...

    --linas

      Last update: 2006-04-29 01:06    [W:0.021 / U:1.692 seconds]