    SubjectRe: make O="<dir>" install; output not relocated;
    Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
    > The modules_install target uses O= for its _input_ files (that is,
    > for the readily compiled modules) and outputs to
    > $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)/lib/modules/$VERSION/ . So you may want to set
    > $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH) in the same way as you've set V= or O= before.
    > If you're trying to prepare something to be copied over to a target
    > system, the tar-pkg, targz-pkg and tarbz2-pkg targets may be exactly
    > what you're searching for.
    Quite possibly. What about an installed kernel (apart from the
    modules)? Will the kernel image and map, etc, get installed into
    the "INSTALL_MOD_PATH" as well? It doesn't sound, intuitively,
    to be so from the environment variable name.
    > It's maybe a bit misleading, but `modules_install' isn't a compilation
    > run, it's an installation run. O= was ment to hold all
    > compiled/generated objects, but to have a working installation, you
    > need to break out of that (or have INSTALL_MOD_PATH set.)
    Fair enough, but I'm more interested in where to specify
    the target location of the installed kernel and as
    I don't always have modules for a generated kernel, but usually
    (near 100% :-)) have an installable kernel image. For development,
    I could see it being useful to mount the target system's root in
    a local directory (like /mnt), then have the kernel build install
    to a target root of "/mnt".

      Last update: 2006-04-28 19:06    [W:0.019 / U:41.088 seconds]