SubjectRe: C++ pushback
Kyle Moffett wrote:

>>> And that breaks a _massive_ amount of kernel code, including such
>>> core functionality like SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED and a host of others.
>>> There are all sorts of macros that use member initialization of that
>>> form.
>>
>> This does not break the code at run time, this breaks the code at
>> compile time, and should be less painful.
>
> So breaking 90% of the source code at compile time is ok? I think
> not. The kernel relies really _really_ heavily on such structure
> initializers, and breaking them would effectively break the world as
> far as the kernel is concerned.

Since we're now discussing how to effectively port the kernel to C++,
I'd suggest getting g++ to accept these structure initializers, and move
them incrementally to standard C++ code.

Should be similar to the conversion to C99 initializers.

>> I agree, it would be a bad idea to compile the existing C code by
>> g++. The good idea is to be able to produce new C++ modules etc.
>
> No, this is a reason why C++ modules are _not_ a good idea. If you
> could write the module in C or C++, but in C++ it compiled 100-200%
> slower, then you would write it in C. Why? A simple matter of numbers:
>
> Say it takes you 100 hours to write and debug the module in C++, and
> 140 to write and debug it in C. I estimate that at least 200,000
> people would download and compile a single version of the kernel with
> your module (not an unreasonable estimate). Note that I'm not even
> including the people who do repeated regression testing of versions,
> or people who download and compile multiple versions of the kernel.
> If the source file takes an average of 1.0 seconds to compile in C and
> 2.0 seconds to compile in C++, then:
>
> (2.0 sec - 1.0 sec) * 200,000 = 200,000 seconds = 55.6 hours
> 140 hours - 100 hours = 40 hours
> 40 hours < 55.6 hours
>
> So for a single version of the kernel your module, you've already
> wasted 15.6 hours of time across people using it. Over time that
> number is just going to grow, _especially_ if people start writing
> more and more modules in C++ because they can. If you want to build
> C++ in the kernel, write a compiler that does not include all the
> problematic C++ features that add so much parsing time (overloaded
> operators, etc).

It looks like you don't value your time much. You're comparing human
time (yours!) to machine time.

If we accept your 1.4 C++ vs C factor, then these 200,000 people would
be compiling 2.6.24 instead of 2.6.16.12.

(Of course, not all code benefits equally from C++. I'd guess the VM
internals wouldn't benefit as much, filesystems and drivers benefiting a
lot).

C++ compilation isn't slower because the compiler has to recognize more
keywords. It's slower because it is doing more for you: checking types
(C++ code is usually free of void *'s except for raw data) and expanding
those 4-line function to their 14-line goto-heavy equivalents.

>> You mentioned a bad example. The struct list_head has [almost?] all
>> "members" inlined. If they were not, one could simply make a base
>> class having [some] members outlined, and which class does not
>> enforce type safety and is for inheritance only. The template class
>> would then inherit the base one enforcing type safety by having
>> inline members. This technique is well known, trust me. If you need
>> real life examples, tell me.
>
> Ok, help me understand here: Instead of helping using one sensible
> data structure and generating optimized code for that, the language
> actively _encourages_ you to duplicate classes and interfaces,
> providing even _more_ work for the compiler, making the code harder to
> debug, and probably introducing inefficiencies as well. If C++
> doesn't work properly for a simple and clean example like struct
> list_head, why should we assume that it's going to work any better for
> more complicated examples in the rest of the kernel? Whether or not
> some arbitrary function is inlined should be totally orthogonal to
> adding type-checking.

C++ works excellently for things like list_head. The generated code is
as efficient or better that the C equivalent, and the API is *much*
cleaner. You can iterate over a list without knowing the name of the
field which contains your list_head (and possibly getting it wrong if
there is more than one).

>> For #defines core_initcall() ... late_initcall() I would type
>> something like this:
>> class foo_t { foo_t(); ~foo_t(); }
>> static char foo_storage[sizeof(foo_t)];
>> static foo_t& foo=*reinterpret_cast<foo_t*>(foo_storage);
>> static void __init foo_init() { new(foo_storage) foo_t; }
>> core_initcall(foo_init);
>>
>> This ugly-looking code can be nicely wrapped into a template, which,
>> depending on the type (foo_t in this case), at compile time, picks
>> the proper stage for initialization.
>
> You proved my point. Static constructors can't work. You can add
> silly wrapper initcall functions which create objects in static memory
> at various times, but the language-defined static constructors are yet
> another C++ feature that doesn't work by default and has to be hacked
> around. C++ gives us no advantage over C here either. Plus this
> would break things like static spinlock initialization. How would you
> make this work sanely for this static declaration:
>
> spinlock_t foo_lock = SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED;
>
> Under C that turns into (depending on config options):
>
> spinlock_t foo_lock = { .value = 0, .owner = NULL, (...) };
>
> How could that possibly work in C++ given what you've said? Anything
> that breaks code that simple is an automatic nonstarter for the
> kernel. Also remember that spinlocks are defined preinitialized at
> the very earliest stages of init. Of course I probably don't have to
> say that anything that tries to run a function to iterate over all
> statically-allocated spinlocks during init would be rejected out of hand.

Why would it be rejected?

A static constructor is just like a module init function. Why are
modules not rejected out of hand?