SubjectRe: C++ pushback
Denis Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thursday 27 April 2006 17:27, Avi Kivity wrote:
>
>>> Where do you see goto-heavy code in kernel?
>>>

>> [avi@cleopatra linux]$ grep -rw goto . | wc -l
>> 37448
>>
>> Repeat without 'wc' to get a detailed listing.
>>

> In 1999 Dave 'Barc0de' Jones, Paranoid wierdo noize making geek,
> wrote this:
>
> http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9901.2/0939.html
>
> I failed to find a link, but in 2004 Dave Jones, a well-known
> kernel hacker, wrote something like "Wow, it's fun to read
> my own old mail, how naive I was back then :)"

:)

I'll refer you to the 4-line vs 14-line examples. To the C++ trained
mind, the 4 line segment is much clearer.

> Feel free to get your hards dirty with kernel development,
> and maybe you will say something similar a few years from now.

I have some experience with kernel code (mucking about the asynchronous
I/O implementation) and a lot of experience in C++ system code (both
ring 0 and userspace). What I've written in this thread is a result of
20+ (can't believe I'm writing that number) years of coding, not
theoretical studies (I've studied aeronautical engineering but practiced
it very little; if I talk about that maybe you can use the theory vs
practice argument).