    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.17-rc2 - notifier chain problem?
    On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 11:49 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
    > On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Andrew Morton wrote:
    <snip>

    > > I guess for now, bringing those things into .text and .data when there's
    > > doubt is a reasonable thing to do.
    >
    > It seems clear that this particular oops was caused by the xfs driver
    > trying to register a cpu_notifier at a time when that notifier chain was
    > expected to be completely idle.
    >
    > Instead of moving all this code and data out of the init sections,
    > wouldn't it be better to fix the individual drivers (like xfs) so they
    > won't try to use inaccessible notifier chains?
    >
    > For that matter, if lots of entries on the cpu_notifier chain are marked
    > with __cpuinit, then shouldn't the chain header itself plus
    > register_cpu_notifier and unregister_cpu_notifier be marked the same way?

    Your suggestion is very valid, since the cpu_notifiers are called only
    at init time, unless CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU is turned ON. Definitions of
    __cpuinit and __cpuinitdata takes care of HOTPLUG config option.

    XFS wants to register only for HOTPLUG_CPU case, and it do so by putting
    the callback, register and unregister inside #ifdef HOTPLUG_CPU.

    Note: I made the changes and tested, it works.

    Andrew, Linus, Any comments ?