    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.17-rc2
    On Friday 21 April 2006 23:02, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > On Friday 21 April 2006 18:40, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Alistair John Strachan wrote:
    > > > Something in here (or -rc1, I didn't test that) broke WINE. x86-64
    > > > kernel, 32bit WINE, works fine on I'll check whether -rc1 had
    > > > the same problem and work backwards, but just in case somebody has an
    > > > idea..
    > >
    > > Nothing strikes me, but maybe Andi has a clue.
    > NX for 32bit programs is enabled by default now. Does it
    > work with noexec32=off?
    > If it's that then it won't work with PAE kernels on i386 and NX
    > capable machines neither - i just changed the default to be
    > the same as 32bit, but unlike 32bit all x86-64 kernels use PAE
    > and many of the systems have NX.
    > If it's not that don't know what it could be. I actually even used a
    > simple wine program with a post rc2 kernel and it worked for me.
    > So it isn't anything fundamental. Maybe some bad interaction
    > with copy protection again, but I don't remember changing ptrace
    > at all this time.
    > > Alistair, if you can do a "git bisect" on this one, that would help.
    > If noexec32=off doesn't help please do.
    > If noexec32 helps then it's likely a wine bug for using the wrong
    > protections.

    [alistair] 01:52 [~] uname -rm
    2.6.17-rc2 x86_64

    [alistair] 01:52 [~] cat /proc/cmdline
    vga=794 root=/dev/sda1 quiet noexec32=off

    [alistair] 01:51 [~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Warcraft III] wine
    war3.exe -opengl
    err:ole:CoCreateInstance apartment not initialised
    fixme:advapi:SetSecurityInfo stub

    Aaand wine suddenly starts working again. Looks like a bug in WINE; is there
    any additional information required before I can file a bug report on this
    one? Thanks.

    Third year Computer Science undergraduate.

      Last update: 2006-04-22 02:56    [W:0.022 / U:32.040 seconds]