SubjectRe: MSI failure on Nvidia nForce
Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> I got a report of sky2 driver irq test failing on x86_64 using
> the following configuration. Is this a known problem?
> Should workaround be done at PCI layer?
>
> What the driver does is setup MSI handler, then do a software generated
> IRQ and check that it was received (similar to tg3). If IRQ test fails
> it falls back to INTx.

Please describe precisely -how- it fails.

pci_enable_msi() does not fail properly on systems that do not support
MSI. This is a major unresolved problem that is preventing MSI
deployment, and causing every driver writer to include a does-MSI-work
test in their driver.

We need to find a good generic test, or if that fails, adopt an
ACPI-like rule: whitelist systems with working MSI before $X date, and
blacklist systems with broken MSI after $X date.

Jeff

  Last update: 2006-04-18 20:40    [W:0.053 / U:2.048 seconds]