SubjectRe: How can I link the kernel with libgcc ?
On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 17:44:16 PST, Carlos Munoz said:
> I'm writing an audio driver and the hardware requires floating point
> arithmetic. When I build the kernel I get the following errors at link
> time:

Tough break, that. You sure you can't figure a way to either push the
floating point out to userspace, or do funky fixed-point math instead?

> These symbols are coming from gcc. What I would like to do is link the
> kernel with libgcc to solve this errors. I'm looking at the kernel
> makefiles and it doesn't seem obvious to me how to do it.

You can't find it because you can't do it. It isn't as simple as linking
against libgcc - there's lots of other issues that make floating point
in the kernel Really Really Hard (for starters, it means you need to save
and restore the FP state across interrupts and scheduling within the kernel).

> Does anyone
> know how I can link the kernel with libgcc, or point me in the right
> direction ?

The right direction - either push it to userspace, or find a way to do it
with fixed point math.

  Last update: 2006-03-10 02:48    [W:0.045 / U:0.060 seconds]