    SubjectRE: [future of drivers?] a proposal for binary drivers.

    > > > What is linux-specific in this context is that many people, like
    > > > myself, who have contributed code to the kernel under the GPL *don't
    > > > want* their code to be used in non-free software, period. Someone who
    > > > wants to leverage my work needs to do it under the terms that I allow.
    > > > That is the law. Whining is not going to change my mind.
    > >
    > > I'm sorry, that's not the law. You can wish it was, but
    > > it's not.
    > >
    > > If the law allowed you to give your software away for
    > > free and then put
    > > restrictions on use, you could drop copies of a poem from an
    > > airplane (or
    > > put it up on a billboard) and then demand royalties from
    > > everyone who read
    > > it.

    > We don't give away our software for free,

    Yes, you do. You can receive a copy of the Linux kernel without paying any
    fee or agreeing to any license. You do in fact give away the software for

    > we give it away under the
    > terms of the GPL,

    That is true. However, the GPL can only grant additional rights, it cannot
    take any away.

    > you must abide by the terms of the GPL to use it.

    No, that's not true. The law permits the normal expected use simply by
    acquiring a copy of the work lawfully. Otherwise, you could buy a book and
    then discover that you still had to pay a royalty to read it. Or you could
    put a poem on a billboard and sue anyone who read it.

    > that is the law, you can wish it wasn't but it is.

    You might try *reading* the law sometime.

      Last update: 2006-03-09 23:06    [W:0.022 / U:6.760 seconds]