SubjectRe: [RFC] Virtualization steps
On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 23:00 -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> I do still need to read up on the selinux mandatory access controls.
> Although the comment from the NSA selinux FAQ about selinux being
> just a proof-of-concept and no security bugs were discovered or
> looked for during it's implementation scares me.

Point of clarification: The original SELinux prototype NSA released in
Dec 2000 based on Linux 2.2.x kernels was a proof-of-concept reference
implementation. I wouldn't describe the current implementation in
mainline Linux 2.6 and certain distributions in the same manner. Also,
the separate Q&A about "did you try to fix any vulnerabilities" is just
saying that NSA did not perform a thorough code audit of the entire
Linux kernel; we just implemented the extensions needed for mandatory
access control. has some good pointers for SELinux
resources. There is also a recently created SELinux news site at

Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency