    SubjectRe: [RFC] Virtualization steps
    On Thu, 2006-03-30 at 23:00 -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
    > I do still need to read up on the selinux mandatory access controls.
    > Although the comment from the NSA selinux FAQ about selinux being
    > just a proof-of-concept and no security bugs were discovered or
    > looked for during it's implementation scares me.

    Point of clarification: The original SELinux prototype NSA released in
    Dec 2000 based on Linux 2.2.x kernels was a proof-of-concept reference
    implementation. I wouldn't describe the current implementation in
    mainline Linux 2.6 and certain distributions in the same manner. Also,
    the separate Q&A about "did you try to fix any vulnerabilities" is just
    saying that NSA did not perform a thorough code audit of the entire
    Linux kernel; we just implemented the extensions needed for mandatory
    access control.

    http://selinux.sf.net/resources.php3 has some good pointers for SELinux
    resources. There is also a recently created SELinux news site at
    http://selinuxnews.org/wp/.

    --
    Stephen Smalley
    National Security Agency