    SubjectRe: RSS Limit implementation issue
    Peter Chubb wrote:

    >Bill> Ram Gupta wrote:
    >
    >Bill> If you want to make rss a hard limit the result should be
    >Bill> swapping, not failure to run. I'm not sure the limit in that
    >Bill> form is a good idea, and before someone reminds me, I do
    >Bill> remember liking it better a few years ago.
    >
    >Bill> If you can come up with a better way to adjust rss to get better
    >Bill> overall greater throughput while being fair to all processes, go
    >Bill> to it. But in general these things are a tradeoff, like
    >Bill> swappiness, you tune until the volume of complaints reaches a
    >Bill> minimum.
    >
    >What I did in one experiment was to:
    > 1. delay swapin requests if the process was over its rsslimit,
    > until it fell below, and
    > 2. Poke the swapper to try to swap out the current process's
    > pages in that case.
    >
    >The problem with the approach is that it behaved poorly under memory
    >pressure. If a process's optimum working set was larger than its RSS
    >limit, then either it was delayed to the point of glaciality, or it
    >could saturate the swap device (and so disturb other processes's
    >operation).

    I'm paying close attention, but that's kind of the problem people have,
    memory pressure gets high and the processes don't run. I thought of
    "swap out two to swap in one" as a way to dribble the rss down, but I
    doubt it's a magic solution. Swap kills, so does not swap and no memory.
    Obvious solution is to make the rss limit hard and keep it small, I
    don't think that's the answer.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc