SubjectRe: sg regression in 2.6.16-rc5
Date

On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:42 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Mark Lord wrote:
>
>> Linus Torvalds wrote:

>>> Did you read the whole thread? It was a low-level SCSI driver
>>> issue, where
>>> nothing broke user space, but the command was just fed to the drive
>>> differently, which then hit a limit in the driver.
>>
>> Will this break major applications like CD/DVD rippers,
>> DVD players, etc.. which read LARGE blocks at a time?
>>
>> If not, then good!
>
> I wouldn't expect it to. Most people use ATA for that, and it tends to
> have lower limits than most SCSI HBA's (well, at least the old
> PATA), so
> the change - if any - should at most change some of the sg.c limits
> to be
> no less than what SG_IO has had on ATA forever.
>
> Not that I expect people to have a SCSI CD/DVD drive anyway in this
> day
> and age, so the sg.c changes probably won't show up at all.

CD-ROM support is a frequently-requested feature on the iSCSI
Enterprise Target (iet) email list. It won't be long before iSCSI CD
and DVD devices start showing up, although the underlying hardware
will be ATAPI or else missing entirely (i.e. ISO image file).

Regards,
-Steve
--
Steve Byan <smb@egenera.com>
Software Architect

  Last update: 2006-03-03 19:30    [W:0.089 / U:0.744 seconds]