SubjectRe: [rfc] fix Kconfig, hotplug_cpu is needed for swsusp
Ashok Raj <ashok.raj@intel.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 02:47:46PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> wrote:
> > >
> > > HOTPLUG_CPU is needed on normal PCs, too -- it is neccessary for
> > > software suspend.
> > >

> > OK, this will get ugly. APICs are involved.
>
> I guess you need only on systems that support >1 cpu right? I doubt you will need
> it on a system that cannot run with the config-generic-arch on. although we use bigsmp
> when hotplug is turned on, all we really end up is using flat physical mode instead
> of using logical mode.
>
> I still havent understood why this wont work. Choosing CONFIG_X86_GENERICARCH shouldnt
> break anything AFAICT.
>
> Pavel, you could use CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU, just need to enable X86_GENERICARCH now.
> Is there a reason you think that wont work? I wish we would revert it for a strong
> reason that we know will not make hotplug work on certain systems because of this choise
> not that we currently have X86_PC now, and are unwiling to change the config.
>
> (PS: the word bigsmp although sounds like some large NR_CPUS, its just using a mode that
> permits the system to work from 1 .. >8 cpus. So there is really nothing determental
> to selecting this.)

Something which remains to be beaten into my head: *why* does HOTPLUG_CPU
require flat pyhsical mode? What necessitated that change, and cannot we
make it work OK in logical mode as well as flat mode?

  Last update: 2006-03-30 05:27    [W:0.083 / U:0.128 seconds]