SubjectRe: [rfc] fix Kconfig, hotplug_cpu is needed for swsusp
On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 09:53:26AM +1000, Nigel Cunningham wrote:

> > config SUSPEND_SMP
> > bool
> > - depends on HOTPLUG_CPU && X86 && PM
> > + depends on HOTPLUG_CPU && X86 && PM && X86_GENERICARCH
> > default y
>
> Sounds like the right approach to me, but I think it's better to use selects.
> I reckon that if the user selects SMP and then selects suspend support,
> everything else required should be automatic. If we do too many 'depends
> on's, they have to mess about figuring out what they haven't selected yet and
> why they can't find the option to suspend. Most people don't seem to know
> about '/' in make menuconfig.

I tried the same with HOTPLUG_CPU as well, to just say

select X86_GENERICARCH

but problem was this didnt enforce the selection, i.e user still could go and revert
the selection made automatic for him, i.e go ahead and select X86_PC, and it would
still leave the HOTPLUG_CPU=y around. I thought "depends" sort of forces the selection.

Maybe i didnt try correctly, if you have alternatives please do, actually even for
HOTPLUG_CPU if this could be made automatic select, and at the same time enforced
strictly, thats great.

(for e.g i shoud;t be able to select X86_PC=y and leave CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=y around)

--
Cheers,
Ashok Raj