SubjectRe: BUG in Linux 2.6.16/2.6.16.1 (compilation failure of third party software)
Thierry Godefroy wrote:
> Oh, yeah ?... Really ?... Please, read the errors before drawing hasted conclusions...
> The errors occur after the mere #inclusion of Linux headers. Here is a simple "code"
> which will trigger the error:
>
> #ifndef __KERNEL__
> #define __KERNEL__
> #endif
>
> #include <linux/module.h>
>
> int main() {
> return 0;
> }
>
> And I don't see anything wrong in that code...

Sure there is, it's a userspace program that's including kernel headers
for one thing.. Also what makefiles are being used to compile this? You
can't just use any old makefile on a kernel module in 2.6 and expect it
to work properly.

Given that the kernel doesn't produce such errors in its own
compilation, that pretty much automatically makes it the problem of the
3rd-party code.

>> Linux makes no effort to guarantee source or binary compatibility with
>> out of tree kernel modules, or userspace code that includes kernel
>> headers.
>
> That's a pity... Non-regression should be guaranteed. The problem with Linux
> is that each new version brings a load of incompatibilities with third parties
> drivers (graphic cards, win/smart modems, wifi cards, etc, etc), most of which
> using proprietary code which sources are unavailable to the end user. The fact
> that Linux keeps breaking those drivers code is not going to encourage hardware
> vendors to make Linux drivers for their products. For example, ATI takes a
> couple of months to catchup with the kernel changes, and each time they release
> a new driver the next Linux release breaks it. :-(

This has been covered time and again. If drivers don't want to be broken
by kernel changes, the best solution is to get them included in the
kernel source tree where they will be kept up to date automatically. And
there is very little interest in the community in helping binary drivers
work any better, they're not something people want to encourage, for
good reason.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada