    SubjectRe: [Patch:001/004]Unify pxm_to_node id ver.3.(generic code)
    Yasunori Goto <> wrote:
    > +/* Proximity bitmap length */
    > +#else
    > +#define MAX_PXM_DOMAINS (256)
    > +#endif

    I don't think we need CONFIG_NR_NODES_CHANGABLE (it is spelled
    "changeable", btw).

    If the architecture wants to support changing of CONFIG_NR_NODES then it
    can permit CONFIG_NR_NODES to be changed in its Kconfig implementation.

    If the architecture doesn't want to permit changing of CONFIG_NR_NODES
    then it should simply hardwire CONFIG_NR_NODES to the chosen value in
    its Kconfig.

    So all architectures which use acpi_numa must implement CONFIG_NR_NODES.

    In fact, it would probably make sense to require that all NUMA-supporting
    archtectures implement CONFIG_NR_NODES.

    Also, we already have NODES_SHIFT defined in include/asm-*/numnodes.h.
    What's the relationship between that and CONFIG_NR_NODES? It seems that we
    want to derive NODES_SHIFT from CONFIG_NR_NODES.

    Was ia64's CONFIG_IA64_NR_NODES the best choice? Should ia64 instead have
    made NODES_SHIFT Kconfigurable, and derived its max-nr_nodes from that?

    It's all a bit of a pickle.

    I guess for now a suitable approach would be to make all numa-using
    architectures define CONFIG_NR_NODES, and to leave that rather
    unpleasant-looking code in include/asm-ia64/numnodes.h as it is.

      Last update: 2006-03-28 23:10    [W:0.022 / U:0.072 seconds]