SubjectRe: Save 320K on production machines?
Linda Walsh wrote:
> [...]
> The current makefile turns on the optimization only on gcc4 or higher,
> but my results were with gcc3.5.5. Maybe defaults for 386 should
> enabler the optimization for some versions of gcc 3 as well? -l

AFAICR, the problem with gcc3 and unit-at-a-time was stack usage with
local variables on automatically inlined functions.

For instance, if function A called B and after B returned called C, both
local variables of B and C would be given a reserved space on the stack
during the execution of A if both functions were automatically inlined.
So the space needed now was A+B+C whereas before was Max(A+B, A+C).

--
Paulo Marques - www.grupopie.com

Pointy-Haired Boss: I don't see anything that could stand in our way.
Dilbert: Sanity? Reality? The laws of physics?