SubjectRe: funny framebuffer fonts on PowerBook with radeonfb
On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 04:26:38PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-27 at 05:37 +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

thanks for the quick response, Tony's patch fixed
the issue for me, the console fonts are fine again.

> > after that, the screen goes white for half a second
> > and becomes black with a large terminal font on it
> > (the one I get without framebuffer, I think), the
> > text there is printed undistorted ... shortly after
> > that, I get a flash, and the mode switches to a much
> > smaller font (the final framebuffer font) and the
> > kernel messages written there are already distorted.
> > half a second later (or less) the penguin appears at
> > the top area (undistorted), when the bootup is done
> > I get the following prompt (which again is okay)
> >
> > bash-2.05b#
> >
> > typing anything there is distorted again ...
>
> Hrm... this is a a pristine 2.6.16 without any patch applied?

yep!

> Also, what video chip revision do you have exactly?
> (lspci will tell you)

it did and it should have told you too :)
(it's in the original mail)

> > pressing enter several times leaves 'copies' of
> > the caracters on the screen, forming vertical bars
> > the prompt (bash) is now always fine, the copy one
> > line above (as all the others) is distorted ...
> >
> > note, the bootup is not much different with older
> > kernels, except for the strange distortions ...
> >
> > attached my kernel configuration, just in case
> > it is related ...
>
> # CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE is not set
> CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
> # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set
> CONFIG_FONTS=y
> # CONFIG_FONT_8x8 is not set
> # CONFIG_FONT_8x16 is not set
> CONFIG_FONT_6x11=y
> CONFIG_FONT_7x14=y
> # CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
> # CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8 is not set
> # CONFIG_FONT_MINI_4x6 is not set
> # CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16 is not set
> # CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22 is not set
> # CONFIG_FONT_10x18 is not set
>
> Interesting... I suspect there is an endian bug in the new
> font code that hits odd sized fonts (or non-multiple-of-8
> fonts). Can you try enabling 8x8 and 8x16 instead of 6x11
> and 7x14 fonts and tell me if those work ?

yep, 8x16 font works as it seems ...

> Tony: If my suspition is confirmed, I think that's your call :)

best,
Herbert

> Cheers,
> Ben.
>
> -

  Last update: 2006-03-27 13:08    [W:1.800 / U:0.004 seconds]