SubjectRe: Save 320K on production machines?
Andre Tomt wrote:
> Linda Walsh wrote:
> <snip>
>> To minimize
>> problems, I disable unused hardware, and all _used_ hardware
>> is compiled in (no module loading overhead, no chances for
>> arbitrary code insertion).
>
> FYI, rootkits have been able to cope with inserting kernel code
> without using the modules support for ages. It is only makes it
> marginally harder.

---
True, but that's the point. People break into systems with
passwords. Just because passwords aren't 100% effective in
protecting systems doesn't mean we don't use them. :-)

The point is to "minimize" a vulnerability profile.
I'm wondering why unused code is required to be compiled
in to standard kernels. It seems very un-linux like -- more like
Windows that has support for everything compiled in.

Reducing code bloat is not just a good idea for embedded systems.
It's good for performance and security if for no other reason that
there are fewer lines that could go wrong. :-)

-l

  Last update: 2006-03-27 12:07    [W:0.063 / U:0.144 seconds]