SubjectRe: State of userland headers
Date
On Friday 24 March 2006 00:04, Rob Landley wrote:
> You also don't want to run a libc built with newer headers than the kernel
> you're running on, or it'll try to use stuff that isn't there.
>
> You're saying that the new kernel headers wouldn't be versioned using the
> kernel's release numbers. How do we know what kernel version their feature
> set matches then? (I'm confused. This happens easily...)

That's a tradeoff. You either version the headers just like I did, meaning
that a given version corresponds to a given kernel, but that means you can't
release before all of the archs are fully updated (and not relying on a
single person to do all of the updates is one of the points of the exercise;
and with more people, one can have delays) or you're forced to figure out
some other way to version the headers.

--
Judge others by their intentions and yourself by your results.
Guy Kawasaki