    SubjectRe: [2.6.16 PATCH] Connector: Filesystem Events Connector
    On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 10:50 +0800, Yi Yang wrote:
    > Matt Helsley wrote:
    > > On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 22:58 +0800, Yi Yang wrote:

    <snip>

    > >> +struct fsevent {
    > >> + __u32 type;
    > >> + __u32 cpu;
    > >> + struct timespec timestamp;
    > >> + __u32 tgid;
    > >>

    > > I think pid_t would be more appropriate here instead of a __u32.
    > > Also a tid field of type pid_t would be consistent with the Process
    > > Events returned to userspace. If a userspace program ever wanted to
    > > relate the two sets of events the tid field could be important. That
    > > said it would be nice to know if any userspace programs are planning on
    > > using this.
    > >

    > I think size of pid_t must be changed from 2.4 to 2.6, in Redhat 9.0, I
    > find size of pid_t in user space is
    > different from kernel space, I believe that is the problem of stale
    > header files.

    I'm not sure why a connector would have to be concerned with the size of
    pid_t in linux-2.4.x unless it's backported since, as far as I'm aware,
    connectors have not been backported.

    > >> + __u32 uid;
    > >> + __u32 gid;
    > >> + __u32 err;
    > >>

    > > The err field appears to be unused when sending events back to
    > > userspace. I suggest reusing it for the event mask and using the type
    > > field to indicate whether the message is a CMDACK or simply an EVENT.
    > >
    > err is useful when you use unknown CMD for the connector, ACK will tell
    > the user CMD is invalid.

    Yes, but the point is for an event -- which presumably is *much* more
    frequent that a CMD -- the err field would be unused. Hence my
    suggestion of having it serve as the mask field for event messages
    instead of combining the event mask into the type field.

    <snip>

    Cheers,
    -Matt Helsley

      Last update: 2006-03-24 11:12    [W:2.176 / U:0.060 seconds]