    SubjectRe: [RFC] Virtualization steps
    On Sat, 2006-03-25 at 04:33 +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > Oh, after you come to an agreement and start posting patches, can you
    > also outline why we want this in the kernel (what it does that low
    > level virtualization doesn't, etc, etc)

    Can you wait for an OLS paper? ;)

    I'll summarize it this way: low-level virtualization uses resource

    With this higher-level stuff, you get to share all of the Linux caching,
    and can do things like sharing libraries pretty naturally.

    They are also much lighter-weight to create and destroy than full
    virtual machines. We were planning on doing some performance
    comparisons versus some hypervisors like Xen and the ppc64 one to show
    scaling with the number of virtualized instances. Creating 100 of these
    Linux containers is as easy as a couple of shell scripts, but we still
    can't find anybody crazy enough to go create 100 Xen VMs.

    Anyway, those are the things that came to my mind first. I'm sure the
    others involved have their own motivations.

    -- Dave

      Last update: 2006-03-24 20:30    [W:0.019 / U:37.924 seconds]