    SubjectRe: swap prefetching merge plans
    On 3/23/06, Con Kolivas <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:53 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > A look at the -mm lineup for 2.6.17:
    > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
    > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-fix.patch
    > > mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks.patch
    > > Still don't have a compelling argument for this, IMO.
    > For those users who feel they do have a compelling argument for it, please
    > speak now or I'll end up maintaining this in -ck only forever. I've come to
    > depend on it with my workloads now so I'm never dropping it. There's no point
    > me explaining how it is useful yet again, though, because I just end up
    > looking like I'm handwaving. It seems a shame for it not to be available to
    > all linux users.

    I certainly like it and see a bennefit.
    My situation is like this:
    A KDE desktop with OpenOffice, Lyx, Firefox, Eclipse, Gimp & a bunch
    of xterms running more or less permanently.
    When I work on kernel stuff I often end up running "make clean ; make
    allyesconfig ; make" and the build and especially final link of the
    kernel usually kills the box for a while, so I tend to walk away and
    come back a while later when it's done.
    Where I see the bennefit of swap prefetch is when I come back to my
    box after such a build and pull one of my other running apps back to
    the foreground. The apps come back noticably faster when I'm running a
    swap prefetching kernel - we are not talking massive amounts of time,
    just a few seconds, but it's enough for me to notice when I sometimes
    happen to run a mainline kernel without swap prefetch.

    Jesper Juhl <>
    Don't top-post
    Plain text mails only, please

      Last update: 2006-03-23 12:27    [W:0.022 / U:20.060 seconds]