    SubjectRe: [ck] swap prefetching merge plans
    jos poortvliet wrote:
    > Op donderdag 23 maart 2006 08:04, schreef Con Kolivas:
    >
    >>On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 03:53 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >>
    >>>A look at the -mm lineup for 2.6.17:
    >>>
    >>>mm-implement-swap-prefetching.patch
    >>>mm-implement-swap-prefetching-fix.patch
    >>>mm-implement-swap-prefetching-tweaks.patch
    >>>
    >>> Still don't have a compelling argument for this, IMO.
    >

    > well, the reason i use it is my computer is much more reactive in the morning.
    > linux uses to get very slow after a night of not-doing-much except some
    > 'sleep 5h && blabla' and cron stuff. in the morning it takes a few HOURS to
    > get up and running smoothly. with swap prefetch, it actually feels faster
    > compared to a fresh boot. now you can force swap prefetch to start working, i
    > use it now and then after some heavy taskts which pulled everything to swap.

    I have two issues with this argument (not that I'm trying to say it
    couldn't make a difference in your case).

    Firstly, swap prefetch actually doesn't handle the midnight updatedb pageout
    problem nicely. It doesn't do any prefetching when the pagecache/vfs cache
    fills memory (which is what would have to happen for updatedb to push stuff
    into swap).

    Secondly, with or without swap prefetch, I think we can do a better job of
    handling these use-once patterns to begin with.

    --
    SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.