    SubjectRe: [ANN] Squashfs 3.0 released

    > >Can you try to benchmark it? I believe it is going to be lost in
    > >noise, slow cpus or not.
    > Good idea, I'll try to benchmark it (on a slow CPU if I can find one :-)
    > ). It will probably make no difference.
    > I don't want the lack of a fixed endianness on disk to become a problem.
    > I personally don't think the use of, or lack of a fixed endianness to
    > be that important, but I'd prefer not to change the current situation
    > and adopt a fixed format. I use big endian systems almost exclusively,
    > and I don't like the way fixed formats always tend to be little-endian.

    Fix it to big-endian, then. Network protocols are big-endian, anyway,
    and PCs tend to be so fast that byteswap will be lost in cache misses,

    [Funny, it looks like all the big-endian machines are slow :-)))]

    Picture of sleeping (Linux) penguin wanted...

      Last update: 2006-03-21 21:19    [W:0.021 / U:27.988 seconds]