SubjectRe: 2.6.16-rc6-mm2: new RDMA CM EXPORT_SYMBOL's
Putting this in -mm has generated more discussion than three postings
of the complete patch series to lkml. Andrew, please don't ever turn
your powers to evil ;)

Andrew> What code will use them?
Andrew> Is it planned that this code be merged?

Anyway, there are three main users of these APIs:

- A kernel module that allows userspace to use this IP-based RDMA
connection abstraction. It's my fault that this didn't make it
into -mm: I didn't think it was quite as baked as the kernel side,
and it's also more important to have the userspace interface stable
before merging it upstream, so I didn't put it in my git tree.
However, it should go into -mm, so I'll include it for next time.

- iSER ("iSCSI over IB"). The feeling I get from Christoph et al is
that this is pretty much ready to merge as well, but I'm not sure
if it's being staged anywhere.

- NFS/RDMA. This is not ready to merge yet but it is being worked on
with the idea of going upstream as soon as it's ready.

Looking at this list of exports, I do see a couple of things that
could maybe be improved:

> +EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_wq);
> +EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_translate_ip);
> +EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_resolve_ip);
> +EXPORT_SYMBOL(rdma_addr_cancel);

First, rdma_wq seems like a strange internal thing to be exporting.
Sean, why does more than one module need to use the same workqueue?

Second, the naming of rdma_addr_cancel() is not that symmetric with
the rdma_{translate,resolve}_ip() functions. Unfortunately I'm just
clever enough to criticize, not clever enough to come up with a better
suggestion.

Andrew> Please explain the thinking behind the choice of a non-GPL
Andrew> export. (Yes, we discussed this when inifiniband was
Andrew> first merged, but it doesn't hurt to reiterate).

I don't think there's any deep thought behind it, except that these
exports (for the most part) form a high-level coherent API and there's
no desire by the original author to restrict things.

ip_dev_find() was originally a non-GPL export, then removed for a
while. So it makes sense to just revert the first change.

- R.

  Last update: 2006-03-20 19:50    [W:0.067 / U:0.668 seconds]