    SubjectRe: Building 100 kernels; we suck at dependencies and drown in warnings
    On 2/26/06, Sam Ravnborg <> wrote:
    > On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 05:21:17PM +0100, Jesper Juhl wrote:
    > >
    > > Hi everyone,
    > >
    > > I just sat down and build 100 kernels (2.6.16-rc4-mm2 kernels to be exact)
    > >
    > > 95 kernels were build with 'make randconfig'.
    > > 1 kernel was build with the config I normally use for my own box.
    > > 1 kernel was build from 'make defconfig'.
    > > 1 kernel was build from 'make allmodconfig'.
    > > 1 kernel was build from 'make allnoconfig'.
    > > 1 kernel was build from 'make allyesconfig'.
    > >
    > > That was an interresting experience.
    > >
    > > First of all not very many of the kernels actually build correctly and
    > > secondly, if I grep the build logs for warnings I'm swamped.
    > >
    > > Out of 100 kernels 82 failed to build - that's an 18% success rate people,
    > > not very impressive.
    > I would recommed to fix the obvious cases and leave it.
    > Better to concentrate on 'normal' configs. This includes
    > allmodconfig/allyesconfig/defconfig but it certainly does not include a
    > bunch of random configs. Real peoples config is much better for this.
    Thank you for your input.

    I agree that "common configs" are the most important ones, but I also
    feel that problems need to be fixed in general no matter how "corner
    case" or "trivial" or "uncommon" they may be.

    I ran an experiment, I reported the results. And from the comments in
    this thread and what I've also recieved privately I think I achieved
    my goal of getting more bugs fixed :)
    I personally fixed some of the warnings.
    Other people fixed other warnings and errors as a result of my post.
    People got thinking about these things.

    All in all I think that's a good result :-)

    Jesper Juhl <>
    Don't top-post
    Plain text mails only, please

      Last update: 2006-03-02 21:27    [W:0.022 / U:10.580 seconds]