    SubjectRe: can I bring Linux down by running "renice -20 cpu_intensive_process"?
    On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 22:51 +0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > Bill Davidsen <> writes:
    > > Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > >> Maybe extending sysrq+n to lower the priority of -20 tasks would be a
    > >> good idea.
    > >>
    > > If it runs before the keyboard thread it doesn't matter...
    > Of course not, but that's not generally the case.
    > > But why should this hang anything, when there should be enough i/o
    > > to get out of the user process. There's a good fix for this, don't
    > > give this guy root any more ;-)
    > Ever heard of bugs? Anyone developing a program can make a mistake.
    > If the program runs with realtime scheduling a bug that makes it enter
    > an infinite loop (or do something else that hogs the CPU) can be
    > difficult to find since it rather efficiently locks you out.

    Given that someone has already determined that installing a safety valve
    for RT tasks was worth while, and given that there is practically no
    difference between a nice -20 and the lowest RT priority, seems to me
    that extending that safety valve to cover reniced tasks is the
    obviously-correct thing to do. I think you should submit a patch.

      Last update: 2006-03-17 07:06    [W:0.020 / U:7.336 seconds]