    SubjectRe: [RFC, PATCH 14/24] i386 Vmi reboot fixes
    Zachary Amsden <zach@vmware.com> writes:

    > Fix reboot to work with the VMI. We must support fallback to the standard
    > BIOS reboot mechanism. Turns out that this is required by kexec, and a good
    > idea for native hardware.

    Huh? Rebooting through the BIOS and kexec are pretty much mutually exclusive.
    Looking at the patch I can't see what you are talking about either.

    Does kexec successfully work under VMWare?

    > We simply insert the NOP VMI reboot hook before
    > calling the BIOS reboot. While here, fix SMP reboot issues as well. The
    > problem is the halt() macro in VMI has been defined to be equivalent to
    > safe_halt(), which enables interrupts. Several call sites actually want to
    > disable interrupts and shutdown the processor, which is what VMI_Shutdown()
    > does.

    machine_halt actually is not one of those places.

    machine_halt does not want to stop the processor. It is very much
    about killing the kernel and user space but having the software still
    linger a little.

    This needs a cleaner abstraction to make sense or go in.

    Eric

      Last update: 2006-03-15 23:11    [W:0.019 / U:61.272 seconds]