    SubjectRe: Which kernel is the best for a small linux system?
    On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:03:39PM +1100, Grant Coady wrote:
    > By stable I mean rate of change of codebase, patch volume per month,
    > 2.6 is orders of magnitude less stable than 2.4 by that simple measure.

    That is no measure of stability.

    If, say, I merge a large patch in order to support ARM SMP and Linus
    takes that, let's say for the sake of argument that's a 10MB diff.
    It doesn't touch anything other than files which are solely built or
    used for the ARM architecture.

    Are you going to claim that the kernel is, therefore, unstable on
    x86?

    So, by your very comment above, if all the updates to non-x86
    architectures were prevented from happening in mainline, you'd have
    a much more stable kernel.

    Uh huh. There's a saying about comparing apples and oranges which
    springs to mind here - did you miss that lesson?

    (Please do _not_ cc or reply directly to me in this thread - I'll
    read replies from the mailing list, thanks.)

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core